Logan Martin was the second dam built as a part of an Alabama Power Company construction program that further developed the Coosa River in the late 1950s and the 1960s. The project included the construction of Weiss, Henry and Bouldin dams and the redevelopment of Lay Dam. During the planning stages, the dam was known as Kelly Creek. During the first month of construction, the board of directors formally named it after William Logan Martin, Jr. He was a circuit court judge in Montgomery and also served as attorney general for the State of Alabama. In 1921, Martin was appointed as Alabama Power’s general attorney. His older brother, Thomas, was one of the founders of the company.
The story of Logan Martin Dam and Logan Martin Lake began as a story of energy. It continues today as a story of flood control, recreation and economic opportunity, irrigation and drinking water, and fish and wildlife habitats. Power was just the beginning.
Logan Martin Reservoir Facts:
Elevation above sea level: 465 feet
Area: 15,263 acres
Shoreline: 275 miles
Length: 48.5 miles
Maximum depth at dam: 69 feet
Area of watershed draining into reservoir: 7,700 square miles