Make this favorite after-school snack just a little bit healthier. Bill and Siri Wilkinson shared some of their favorite recipes from their restaurant, Gerson’s Garden, serving vegetarian dishes in Roanoke. Check out Gerson’s Garden.
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 2 dozen cookies
- 1 cup butter (salted)
- 1â…” cups organic sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 10-ounce bag semisweet or dark chocolate chips (frozen)
- 1 cup walnut halves or pieces
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix butter (slightly melted) and sugar until barely incorporated. Add egg whites and vanilla and gently mix. Add frozen chocolate chips and walnuts, gently mixing by hand or with mixer on low speed.
- Add rest of ingredients and mix just until blended.
- Drop by spoon onto ungreased baking sheet and bake for about 7 minutes. Cool on cooling racks.